Saturday, November 20, 2010

Banana Republic

Hold on to your sun hats folks, grab some bananas and ready yourself for my next big adventure.  This week I embark on a solo journey to the heart of Central America.  A short trip but exciting none the less. I will be spending 2 weeks in Honduras.  

Honduras is in the centre of Central America and is bordered by Nicaragua, El Salvador, and Guatemala.  It touches both the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific.  While it has thriving coffee and banana industries it is one of the poorest countries in the Western Hemisphere.  There are 3 tourist draws for me; world class diving off of the second largest coral reef in the world, expansive rainforest jungles full of monkeys, snakes, crocs, and jaguar, and lastly the impressive ruins of the ancient and fascinating  Mayan. Surely there will be many amazing things that are unknown to me currently.  The journey is often better than the destination!  I will be avoiding cities as much as possible as there is quite a gang problem, although tourists are rarely targeted. I will be switched on none the less. Besides cities aren’t my thing anyways.

I will have no fixed plans but will most likely start by heading north, to the Caribbean coast.  I plan on beginning and ending my trip with SCUBA  diving and am hoping to better my certification to Advanced Diver.

Unsure about internet connection, I will try and post a few photos and stories from the road.  

So long for now, 
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment